2016 was a resounding success with more than 100 students! Take a look at some of the activities in these photos and video.
The goals of RISE Summer Program are:
- To eliminate summer learning loss in math and reading.
- To increase healthy living habits to fight childhood obesity.
- To improve academic performance.
- To reduce health risks associated with living in low-income communities.
To address these goals RISE Summer Program offers:
- Relevant Curriculum: RISE students receive Gainesville City Schools-aligned curriculum 4 full days each week, for 6 weeks, with the goal of reinforcing Common Core standards.
- “Fun Fridays”: Each week, all of our kids head out for a day of fun which includes recreational swim time and a fun & educational field trips such as swimming at Frances Meadows, bowling, Elachee Nature Center, skating, INK Children’s Museum, Truelove Dairy Farm, and a ride on Chattahoochee River Keeper’s Lake Lanier boat, The Chota Princess.
- Access to RISE: Any Gainesville-Hall County child is welcome to attend RISE, free-of-charge.
- Nutritious meals: A balanced breakfast, lunch and nutritious snacks are provided through a partnership with the USDA Summer Feeding Program, Gainesville City Schools and the Georgia Mountains Food Bank.
- Nutrition Education: Brenau Occupational Therapy graduate students offer a healthy eating programs.
- Health Assessments: Volunteers from Brenau’s Nursing Department conduct the physical screenings: BMI, sight and hearing. Information is relayed to parents & schools, when appropriate.
- Healthy activities: Each day the children have an hour of recess and activity time. On Fridays, they spend 2 hours swimming at Frances Meadows Swim Center.
- Family Engagement and Resources
Created and led by Brenau University education, business and nursing majors and professors, the camp accepts rising first through sixth graders and dovetails into the Gainesville City Schools curriculum to combat summer learning loss that is prevalent in lower-income communities.
Get involved for next year! There are many ways to get involved besides enrolling your kids. To learn more, contact Maria at email@example.com or call 770.5436.1294 ext. 22201.